What is an Isolation Test?
If you are having issues with your ADSL/ADSL2+ internet connection we will ask you to perform an isolation test. Through process of elimination, this test will help single out an issue with a piece of hardware within your premises.
Isolation Test Steps
- Remove all hardware/equipment that shares the phone line your internet is on. ie- modems, phone handsets, ADSL splitters & filters, PABX phone systems, fax machines, alarm systems, Pay TV boxes and EFTPOS & HICAPS terminals.
- Plug only the modem back into the phone line using just a single, short cable and without a filter.
- Plug a laptop or computer into the modem using a network/patch cable & test the internet and see if your problem is fixed. If yes, go to step 6.
- Connect the modem on any another sockets or points that the phone line is connected to and test again.
- Repeat the above steps using another modem if your internet problems continue.
- If this resolves your problem add hardware/equipment back on the phone line one at a time and test after each item is added to rule out other issues.
- Faulty phone cables, modems and splitters/filters are the most common causes of internet problems.
- Use the shortest phone cables as possible, never use extension phone cables with an ADSL service.
- Keep a spare ADSL modem, spare ADSL splitter/filter & spare phone cables handy in case one of these devices fail.
- Use a central ADSL filter where possible as it will help ADSL to perform better when using other services/hardware on the same line. A phone technician is required to install a central filter correctly.
For further troubleshooting please call our Tech Team on 1800 FLUFFY (1800 358 339)